Looks like this event has already ended.
Check out upcoming events by this organizer, or organize your very own event.
Introduction to the Ruby Programming Language
Saturday, October 8, 2011 from 10:05 AM to 4:00 PM (EDT)
An easy and gentle introduction to programming the Ruby Language. Learn about Ruby in the context of writing a single-user text adventure engine.
Attendees should already have a familiarity with:
- The C programming language
- Object Oriented Programming
- Emacs or Vim (Required)
- You will need to bring a laptop running Windows or Linux, or Mac OS
- You should already have Secure Shell program already installed onto your laptop, such as PuTTy (Windows) or ssh (Linux, Mac OS)
- You will need to know how to use a commandline-style text editor such as emacs or vi
Hour 1- Language Workshop
- Kernel, IO, File (25 mins)
- Arrays, Hashes, Expressions (25 mins)
Hour 2 - Object Oriented Concepts
- Classes and Modules (20 mins)
- Duck Typing, Standard Protocols, and Coercion (15 mins)
- Blocks and Iterators (15 mins)
- Lunch Break (90 mins)
Hour 3 - Hands On Lab
- Lab - Writing a single-user text adventure game (50 minutes)
Hour 4 - Ruby under the hood
- The Ruby Language Class Hierarchy
- Dynamic Ruby
At the end of the presentation, the attendee would have:
- Basic understanding of the Ruby language
When & Where
Elven Labs and Friends
Elven Labs is based in Orlando, FL. We build lasting relationships with your customers that are avid iPhone/iPad owners.
We write iPhone/iPad applications for small to midsize businesses.